Monday, March 10, 2008

Ballin'

My son and I headed to Chickasha, OK last Friday for a cold weekend. I went Friday to tour the plant of one of our manufacturers and then my son was playing baseball over the weekend. The team didn't fare so well but I felt like my son had a good tournament and was happy to see him playing again. It was collllddddddddd. All day Saturday and Sunday morning I was bundled up with thermals, turtleneck, sweatshirt and coat, gloves and beanie (that's what they call 'em these days) and I was still cold. Sunday afternoon finally saw some sun and upper-50 degree temperatures.

Sunday morning, we met in a hotel room with another family to sing, pray and read God's Word. I couldn't help but think what the early church was like - maybe just a few families studying the Word, singing - maybe not the prettiest but with hearts attuned to God, and prayers lifted up by young and old. In some ways, I felt a closeness to God I don't always feel in a big group. In a small group, you're either plugged in and invested or you're on the outside looking in. Please don't misunderstand, I am not criticizing our big facilities and large numbers but simply saying I enjoyed the time we had Sunday, just a few of us, everyone participating and all focused on our wonderful Lord.

No comments: